#B4TheHolidays, Responsibility.org Honors Traffic Safety Leaders at Educational Capitol Hill Event
Each year, the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility holds a fun, educational event on Capitol Hill to remind staff and local partners to stay safe during the holidays. This year’s theme was #B4TheHolidays and it reminded attendees that holiday prep – including planning safe rides home – is what makes the holidays successful and less stressful.
Everyone who joined us had a chance to try several education stations:
Walk the line for the Capitol Police. Using Fatal Vision® Goggles, attendees did several components of a standard field sobriety test while wearing goggles that simulate an illegal BAC limit. It gives the user the feeling of being drunk and is a real eye-opener regarding loss of motor skills.
B4UDrink blood alcohol content educator. This Responsibility.org program takes users to a virtual bar and allows them to understand how alcohol affects their BAC level based on a variety of individual characteristics.
The highlight of the day was the presentation of this year’s Kevin E. Quinlan Awards for Excellence in Traffic Safety, which recognize the outstanding work of leaders in the traffic safety community and among Congressional staff. Kevin Quinlan was a highly respected traffic safety professional and pioneer who worked for more than 20 years at the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). He was instrumental in promoting effective countermeasures to reduce fatalities, injuries, and crashes in all modes of transportation.
The 2014 Kevin E Quinlan Award recipients honored today are:
- Kurt Erickson, President of the Washington Regional Alcohol Program (WRAP)
- Pam Fischer, Pam Fischer Consulting
- The Honorable Karl Grube, Senior Judge in Pinellas County, Florida
- Rachel Hall, Legislative Assistant to Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL)
- Mark Henson, Chief of Staff to Congressman Jim Himes (D-CT)
- Liz Johnson, Press Secretary for Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
- Melissa Kelly, Communications Director for Congressman Pete Olson (R-TX)
- Tom Kimball, Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor for Tennessee
- Robert Maccarone, Deputy Commissioner of the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services and the Director of the Office of Probation and Correctional Alternatives (OPCA)
- Douglas B. Marlowe, J.D., Ph.D., Chief of Science, Policy & Law for the National Association of Drug Court Professionals
- Danielle Roeber, Attorney with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Sandy Spavone, Executive Director, Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
- Helena Zyblikewycz, Professional Staff Member for the United States House of Representatives Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
Thank you to all who attended – Responsibility.org wishes you a happy and safe holiday season!