#SummerResponsibly: Celebrating the Stars and Stripes
The Fourth of July is fast-approaching, and we’re gearing up for a big day of fun times and fireworks. The team at Responsibility.org was curious to hear how you plan to celebrate the Fourth, so we recently conducted a survey asking just that. One thing we wanted to know (as part of our summer-long #SummerResponsibly campaign) – if adults plan to consume alcohol and attend or host parties, how do they account for getting themselves or guests home safely? And America, kudos to you.
Unsurprisingly, over half of you plan to attend a party, barbeque, picnic or other celebration to commemorate Independence Day. Of course you are it’s tradition! So why the kudos? We found that among those who will be drinking during the holiday weekend, more than half (55 percent) say they will consume alcohol moderately, and more than nine out of 10 hosts will plan ahead for their transportation needs and those of their friends and guests. Some other ways you plan to celebrate responsibly include choosing not to drive drunk or allow others to drive drunk, using a designated driver or calling for a safe ride, and not providing alcohol to minors.
And we think that’s all pretty awesome! So we’re here to help you stick to your plan and #SummerResponsibly.
If you’re not careful, a decision you make in an instant, like having one more drink or getting behind the wheel drunk, could have long-term consequences. That’s why it’s so important to make decisions and set limits long before you crack open that first drink. We’ve got some tips to help you and your friends and family #SummerResponsibly this Fourth of July weekend and all summer long.
- Don’t serve alcohol to minors
- Learn what constitutes a standard pour, and stick to it. Don’t overserve your guests.
- Serve food and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Don’t give friends a hard time if they choose not to drink.
- Make sure folks have a safe way to get home.
- Eat a full meal, and alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Designate a driver or safe ride home before you ever leave your house.
- Pace yourself, and know your limits. Our Virtual Bar can help with that!
So make and stick to your #SummerResponsibly plan and you’ll be well on your way to a fun and safe Fourth of July!